It is very important that diabetes patients follow a balanced diet to avoid possible complications due to their disease. Also, they must perform physical activity to take care of their general health. Patients diagnosed with diabetes mellitus should improve their eating plan 100%. In addition, this is part of the treatment to keep high blood glucose levels under control. To begin with, what should and should not a patient with diabetes eats? What are the main recommendations? Then we share the most relevant aspects taking into account that the issue generates some doubts.
The Importance of Diet
First, although it is essential to modify many other lifestyle habits, the diet plays a role important. In addition, it can help us cope with diabetes to avoid complications. In the first place, this implies eating high-quality nutritional foods, in moderate portions. We must also respect the usual schedules of each meal to the maximum. There may be variations depending on weight, age and other possible conditions. However, in general, it consists of moderate calories without decreasing the nutritional requirements of the body.
Objectives of the Diet for Diabetes
People with diabetes or prediabetes should adopt a special diet to control high glucose levels. In this way they will also alleviate the symptoms related to this problem. Therefore, the eating plan is based on the combination of healthy foods. These are full of properties that benefit various aspects of health.
Among its objectives include:
- To start, control the high blood sugar.
- Also, keep the weight balanced.
- Avoid complications at the cardiovascular level.
- Reduce cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- Maintain good renal function.
- Finally, stimulate the activity of the nervous system.
Benefits of Adopting a Special Diet
Patients who face this chronic disease can suffer many consequences when they do not adopt the necessary measures. In addition, diabetes produces effects that occur throughout the body. By improving everything related to food, a series of benefits are produced to ensure a better quality of life. However, we will take into account that the problem does not have a definitive cure.
“The strict diet promotes the control of blood sugar and optimizes the production or use of insulin”.
In addition, it also regulates blood circulation in case of associated complications.
Below we detail the benefits obtained:
- Stable blood pressure
- Prevention of visual difficulties.
- Fatigue control.
- Physical and mental well-being
- Healthy weight.
What Foods Should have a Diet for Diabetes?
For starters, a diabetic diet is based on three main meals a day, at regular times. In addition, this allows the body to make better use of the insulin it produces or receives through medications. However, doctors usually recommend a visit to a nutrition specialist, as each case can be developed in different ways. However, in general, there are some basic recommendations. Then we classify them by nutritional groups.
- Fruits and vegetables.
- Whole grains.
- Legumes (beans, lentils or peas).
- Low-fat dairy products
- Whole wheat flour and bran.
- Green vegetables and fruits.
Healthy Fatty Acids
- Blue Fish.
- Seeds and nuts.
- Olive oil and rapeseed or canola.
- Lean meats (chicken or turkey).
- Low-fat and low-fat dairy.
- Fish and seafood
What are the Foods that a Diabetic Patient Should Avoid?
Diabetes increases the risk of heart disease and stroke. Also another variety of chronic diseases that put at risk the life. For this reason, in addition to eating healthy foods, it is essential to suppress or limit the intake of some foods that can be harmful. We detail them below.
- Embed meats .
- Pork bacon
- Package fritters.
- Refined vegetable oils
- Refreshments processed.
- Baked bakery products.
- Dairy products and proteins of animal origin (in excess).
- Egg yolks
- Fast foods.
- Desserts and bakery.
- Refined table salt.
- Canned or packaged products
- Added sugar
- Sweets and desserts
- Bakery products.
- Cash cereals.
Tips to Improve the Diet for Diabetics
Regardless of the diet recommended by the nutritionist, there are some general tips to improve its effects on the body. Here we highlight them:
- To start, increase the frequency of feeding. That is, instead of eating three hearty dishes, eat between five and six small portions.
- Next, set a fixed schedule for each meal.
- Also set an unalterable schedule to take medication.
- On the other hand, do regular physical exercise.
- In addition, control the consumption of carbohydrates.
- And finally, suppress the consumption of alcoholic beverages.
To finish, maintaining a healthy diet can be a challenge for people who recently received a diagnosis of diabetes. In addition, it will mean a change in your life. However, it is the best way to deal with the disease.